Sunday, May 9, 2010

Complete Senior Thesis work


4' x 4' Oil on Canvas

4' x 4' Oil on Canvas

16" x 20" Oil on Canvas

16" x 20" Oil on Canvas

20" x 20" Oil on Canvas

22" x 30" Oil on Canvas

20" x 20" Oil on Canvas


Thesis Statement:

In Greek, there are two words for life: Zoe and Bios. Zoe is the grand view of existence, Bios, the subtle interactions of objects and people. My work is about the contrast of these two realities. This current series of paintings is a response to last year, spent gallivanting across Europe, versus this year that I lived in a contained, geographic location. Glenside is my Bios, and Europe, my Zoe. Traveling gave me a larger perspective of the world, which has become more localized since I returned home. The juxtaposition of tomato and figure is a dialogue between Zoe and Bios. It is a relationship between vast and minute, universal and specific. What I paint sits within a confined space, but I see it with the same eye I have used to view my most liberating experiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment